Saturday, November 3, 2007

Things that go Bump in the Night

My roommate and I have a somewhat...unconventional situation. While we did graduate from college, we apparently did not leave the dorm room mindset behind. Because of space constraints in our tiny apartment, we decided that the best way to organize everything and still have space to live would be to share a bedroom. Ok, you are saying, that's not too bad, you can deal with this situation.

We also have bunkbeds.

They're not quite the ones you'd associate with dorms--we went for the rare and elusive full-size versions--but they are bunkbeds nonetheless. We make it work, though. I'm on the top because I've always been scared of the bottom (if it collapses, I figure my chances of survival are much higher if I'm on top!). So it's all good and while we take a certain about of teasing from our i-banking friends, we don't mind literally living on top of one another.

I didn't, that is, till I was woken up this morning by the sound of my roommate shrieking. There is very little as disconcerting as screaming coming from a foot away from your head. She screamed and darted out of her bed across the room. Now, I'm not the sharpest when I've just woken up, especially under these circumstances, so I just sat on my bed staring at her until she managed to get out the words "thing...in...bed!"

Apparently she woke up with beady little eyes staring at her from the side of her bed and (understandably in my mind) freaked out. We are not sure what it is--she swears there was a beak, so she thinks it was a bird, but I think a mouse is much more likely. Updates will follow, but the current situation is that some sort of vermin lives under our beds and we don't know what it is. I do know one thing though.

The top bunk was clearly the right choice!